En route to an appointment
Get ready! Arriving with all of your ducks in a row will make your appointment much easier.
Many Elves wear a chef jacket or cooking apron. Wear hair pulled back and covered.
💡 Keep customers informed of your arrival time.
Check your appointment page for early arrival terms from your customer.
- Options include "Yes, within an hour", "Maybe, please text to ask", and "No early arrivals".
- If "Maybe...", text your customer from your appointment page with an ETA if you're running early.
- Text customers prior to grocery shopping, so if your customer says no, you aren't stuck in your car with a bunch of perishable groceries.
💡 Don't ask customers if you can arrive more than an hour early. They may say yes to be polite, but they often don't rebook for this reason.
Text your customer from your appointment page to give an ETA. Customers really appreciate this notice.
⚠️ Purchase groceries en route to each appointment. Intermediate storage between appointments is both illegal and unsafe.
Pay for groceries and staples on separate receipts. We'll automatically calculate your staple costs. You'll submit your grocery costs at the end of your appointment.
⚠️ Due to the COVID-19 scare, your grocery store may be out of items. We recommend these steps.
(2) If not, suggest substitutes from what is available (check frozen sections).
(3) No alternatives? Use your culinary skills to suggest a meal you can make from what's in stock.
(4) None of that works? Tell your customer that they can cancel. They'll get a full refund minus their $35 deposit, which will get paid to you.
The “purchase quantity” for most produce items is based on weight (e.g. 2 lbs of potatoes, not 3 potatoes). Weigh produce items for accuracy.
💡 You can remove grapes from a bag to buy the proper weight.
If you cannot find an item, make your best judgment. If you don't have a reasonable option, text your customer through your appointment page.
If a customer has paid for organic groceries, you'll see a red note at the top of your grocery list.
See the "O=" notes under each ingredient to buy the organic option when possible.
💡 To avoid grocery overages, watch purchase quantities. If your only organic choice in lemons is a several pound bag, purchase a single non-organic lemon.
Type of grocery store
Shop at a mainstream grocery store (e.g. HEB), not a premium grocery store (e.g. Central Market, Whole Foods, Randalls), unless:
- Your customer requests a premium store in their notes
- The store is within 3 minutes or 10 minutes from their home
Be judicious in your purchases, as your reimbursements of staples and groceries are capped.